Apartment makeover series: Dining room makeover

Hi guys, how are you doing?
I announced on my instagram last week that I'm going to be posting every Tuesday in shaa Allah. If you have not followed me there, do go and check it out, I post allot of other fun daily life stuff over there. (the link is in the left tab.)

Now I'm soo excited about today's post. It's a little over due but these makovers take time.



So backstory, this appartment had three bedrooms but the lounge or living area was not big enough for a dining table, neither was the kitchen, and we do like to host allot of friends and family so, a dining area was a must. Therefore, we compromised on the third bedroom, which was the smallest of the 3 and made it into a seperate dining room.
Now, I've always dreamt of designing and decorating my home and I had been planing this appartment makeover for months. I have a very detailed pinterest board and had an image in my head of how the whole space would work out. I wanted something simple with wood tones and somehow incorporate plants and green accents. But this dining area turned out to be nothing like any of those pinterest ones.






I started out  looking and the first thing I picked out was this dark green carpet, I lovvved this carpet, it was printed  enough that it wouldn't show crumbs and it was green enough to be a contrast against the yellow beigey tones of the room. And additionally it's great quality and I found it at a great price (300 SAR only )

The next thing I wanted was a nice dining table seating at least 6 people. Now personally I love the kind with the upholstered arm chairs for the head of the table and side chairs for the rest of it. But those dining tables were too big for our room and we had to go looking for sleek ones and therefore opted for this simple one. It was I believe 700 SAR and I got this new from the new Haraj here in Riyadh


Because this dining table was a little small we had need for a buffet table but again no space for it, so I decided to pull a little hack and use a shelf rather than a table to serve food. It was a good decision because it saved allot of space, and since it doesn't need brackets to hold it up, it gave a sleek look in coordination with the dining table and is very functional.  You can find this shelf in Ikea, it's pretty affordable
https://www.ikea.com/sa/en/catalog/products/50282182/#/40103751


For lighting, we decided on these green  lampshades because one, we couldn't get anything heavy like a chandelier, the ceiling cannot hold the weight (it made of these square cardboard  sheets), second these were a really inexpensive option and third they went with the theme :D
https://www.ikea.com/sa/en/catalog/products/70328358/

The curtains were another big decision because my husband didn't  like the color of these when we were at the store but I insisted and when we put them up in the room it really brought together the whole green vibe and he also accepted that they  were the right decision. I got these curtains from Lulu, I think for 70 riyals but I'm not sure. (I do apologize I actually was not planing to make a blog when Ibought these)

For the wall above  the shelf I got these  mirrors also from ikea. (You will find soon that I love mirrors and put them in almost  every room)
https://www.ikea.com/sa/en/catalog/products/20232829/#/00232830




The wall opposite to the shelf I put up a prayer mat that my mother gave to me ln my wedding. It's  one of the most beautiful prayer mats I've ever seen. You have to be here in person to touch and feel it because this picture just does not do it justice.



For the centre of the table, I keep changing it, when guests come over  I put this ikea vase. Some times i put tea light candles and sometimes just these cork mats i found at ikea when we're dining casually.

I'm still looking for the perfect table mats. (Green ones are hard to find and esp. green ones that i like )

I still want to put something in the corner of the room, at first my plan was to put hanging plantars but the corner just doesn't  get  enough sunlight so now I'm thinking  maybe i should do fake plantars or would it be too much of green?

I'm also looking for one of those big rustic looking clocks, without the glass for the wall opposite to the window. I still haven't  found one i like but you know decorating an area takes a long time esp. when ypu're a rookie who doesn't know where to find stuff.


Here are some pictures showing the before and after state of the room.



Hope you guys liked this post, for more posts like this one and follow ups on additions to the appartment, follow my instagram account (@amateurateverything00) or subsribe to this blog through blogovin.
Addio for now.
Live life, have fun, love everyone and anyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY: Crib canopy

Easiest sponge cake recipe.